The Crazy Kitchen: Cooking With Your Toddler - Butternut Squash Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Popular Recipes

Strawberry Cheesecake Sundae Strawberry Cheesecake Pimms Pavlova Ciabatta Ice Cream Cupcakes Raspberry Tarts

Friday 24 February 2012

Cooking With Your Toddler - Butternut Squash Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Butternut squash cake does sound a bit odd but root vegetables lend themselves very nicely in cakes....beetroot worked really well in my chocolate cupcakes, keeping them lovely and moist. I spotted this recipe and pinned it until this week when myself and Jack made it with a few variations as below.

Butternut Squash Cake

440g Butternut squash, steamed & mashed
250ml vegetable oil
4 eggs
250g caster sugar
250g sultanas
250g self raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt


  • Beat the squash, oil and eggs together
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

  • Stir all the dry ingredients together
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

  • Pour the wet ingredients into the dry 
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


  • Mix well

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


  • Pour into a large (lined) baking tin
  • Bake in a 180 degree (C) oven for approx 40 minutes - make sure it's cooked in the middle by inserting a skewer
  • Allow to cool in the tin - I then removed from the tin, took the baking paper off & then replaced into the tin ready for frosting

Frosting
I forgot to get cream cheese so I improvised with cottage cheese - shhhh don't tell my kids!

200g cottage cheese, blended until smooth
110g butter, softened
150g icing sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
grated zest of 1/2 orange


  • Beat all the ingredients together until smooth
  • Spread over the cooled cake and allow to set in the fridge


    Photobucket

The cake was so moist and tasty that it didn't last long - next time I'm going to make it without the frosting so the kids can take it to school in their lunchboxes. It would be really nice with walnuts in but the kids wouldn't eat it then & I'd have to eat it all on my own....I'm sure I could manage it but my waistline wouldn't be too impressed.

Recipes that I've seen for root vegetable cakes use it grated but I think it's much easier to steam and then mash....it saves your knuckles!




The Crazy Kitchen

Do you have any child friendly recipes you would like to share, please feel free to add them to the Linkys - just click the badge above




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog