The Crazy Kitchen: Butternut Squash & Orange Chutney

Popular Recipes

Strawberry Cheesecake Sundae Strawberry Cheesecake Pimms Pavlova Ciabatta Ice Cream Cupcakes Raspberry Tarts

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Butternut Squash & Orange Chutney

Is it possible to be a chutney & jam making addict? If so then I am one. I just can't seem to stop myself, I keep coming across recipes that I want to try and my sideboard is slowly filling up with chutney and spicy jams. I'm beginning to smell like a pickled onion....I think I need help.


Before I do though I would like to share my latest chutney recipe. I came across it on the Tesco Real Food website and only made some minor amendments.


You will need :


875 - 1000g Butternut squash, peeled & chopped
2 cooking apples, peeled, cored & chopped
2 pears, cored & chopped
4 carrots, diced
2 onions, peeled & chopped
200g sultanas
5cm fresh ginger, peeled & grated
1 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp mixed spice
700ml white wine vinegar
500g granulated sugar
2 oranges, peeled & chopped
juice & zest of another orange



  • Place all the ingredients, except the oranges and sugar, into a large saucepan and bring to the boil
  • Reduce heat & simmer for 30 minutes
  • Add chopped oranges and sugar
  • Stir over the heat until the sugar has dissolved.
  • Simmer for around 45 minutes, stirring in the orange juice and zest towards the end of cooking
  • Simmer until chutney is thick

You can definitely taste the orange in this with the addition of the extra juice & zest - it's a combination of a sweet marmalade and chutney and will be lovely with some Wensleydale & crackers.

Photobucket

My attempt at brown paper wrapping - if you want to see how it is properly done have a look at this post where Katie's presentation skills are a lot better than mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog