The Crazy Kitchen: Spiced Festive Chutney

Popular Recipes

Strawberry Cheesecake Sundae Strawberry Cheesecake Pimms Pavlova Ciabatta Ice Cream Cupcakes Raspberry Tarts

Thursday 13 October 2011

Spiced Festive Chutney

Christmas is definitely a time for chutney - with delicious cheeses and moreish crackers. I haven't made chutney in a while but when my husband brought home an enormous marrow from work, as I mentioned here, making a chutney seemed the only answer.


I found a spiced courgette chutney recipe and followed the basics, but doubled it up as the marrow was so large, and added a couple of extras.


Ingredients


4 onions, chopped
600g Tomatoes, chopped
1100g Marrow, chopped (spongy flesh in middle removed)
600ml Sarsons pickling vinegar
2 large Granny Smiths apples
500g light Muscovado sugar
1 tbps Mixed Spice
1" piece of fresh ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped
150g Sultanas
3 tbsp dark Rum
3 cinnamon sticks



  1. Put all the ingredients in a large pan. Bring slowly to a simmer, stirring to stop the mixture sticking.
  2. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours until dark, thick and chutney-like. Pour into sterilised jars and leave for 2-3 weeks before eating.



I never followed the last step (leaving 2-3 weeks before eating) and ate some immediately with cheese spread on a crumpet.

Chutney makes a great Christmas present, along with some nice cheese, crackers and a bottle of Port or wine, wrapped in a gift basket.

If you want to make it look really special you can use hinged jars, available from craft or kitchen stores. Or you can use jam jars and tart them up a bit with a piece of fabric and a label. I used a circle of hessian secured with ribbon and a small wooden star (my handwriting leaves a lot to be desired!) - both purchased from Ebay.

Photobucket

I am linking this post up to A Little Bit of Heaven On a Plate's home made & well preserved challenge

Photobucket


and also Vanessa Kimbell's Let's Make Christmas

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking this up to Recipe Shed, I love it! It looks so pretty and your handwriting is really lovely. I love the hessian, I struggled last night to find something rustic looking for mine and need to pop over to hobbycraft to get some nice fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rum and mixed spice does it for me. Looks like a great Christmas chutney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks so lovely - my Dad would LOVE this !!

    Vanessa
    x

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog